Keurig offers a relatively new coffee brewing method “K-Cup”, developed in the 1990s, by John Sylvan and Peter Dragone. John Sylvan wanted to solve the common problem of office coffee- large pots of coffee that sit for long periods of time, getting more and more stale and bitter. So Sylvan wanted to develop a single serving product, which would be more efficient than the old drip method, at least in the office settings.
This wasn’t a small task, as he also had to develop a brewing machine that would make the most of coffee pods. The outcome is Keurig, a company that is well-known for its high-quality products and coffee machines. In Dutch, Keuring means “excellence”. And indeed, Keurig is a world-renowned company that makes everything you need for good, high-quality coffee brewing- machines, capsules, K-Pods, etc.
K-Cups are fast, efficient, and tasty, and we’ll try to help you to choose the right one for you by comprising a list of 12 best K-Cup coffees. Most of these products are made by Keuring, but there are other manufacturers that make K-Cup coffee that is compatible with Keurig’s coffee brewers.
Tips for Choosing Your K-Cup Coffee: What to Remember When You’re Shopping
Now we take a look at some tips to help you find the perfect K-Cup coffee for you. With so many options out there, things can get confusing.
Know your Favorite Type of Roast
With many different types of coffee roasters and blends, choosing a K-Cup roast can be a challenge. Sometimes you have to go with what tastes best! The type of flavor that you want to go with is all personal preference!
Darker roasted beans tend to strike more bitter notes with more caffeine in your cup while lighter ones can come across as sweeter. It’s really up to you what kind of experience you’re looking for when it comes time for brewing or drinking a cuppa joe.
Light roasts often have less bitterness than dark roasts do, which may explain why some people prefer them over others – they won’t get those stronger flavors like burnt toast or dark chocolate.
Light roasts also have a tendency to be more acidic than darker ones, as dark roast beans are usually roasted for longer periods of time which will release natural sugars in the coffee and make them sweeter.
Then there’s medium roast – it falls somewhere between light and dark when it comes to where on the palate you’ll experience flavors like fruity or nutty notes. The difference is slight, but can still be noticeable if tasting side-by-side with both types of beans.
How to Choose Your Favorite Flavor?
This can be a little overwhelming, but don’t fret! There are many different things to consider when choosing a flavor.
- First and foremost: do you like sweet or savory flavors?
- Do you drink it black, with cream and sugar, or as an espresso shot (or all of the above)?
- What’s your favorite dessert? If so, see if they make K-Cups that match up to those flavors–it might just give you some new options!
Keep in mind that every coffee has its own taste profile which means there will always be something for everyone out there. For example, one person may love hazelnut while another would prefer caramel macchiato; both have their own unique flavor that you’ll love, so don’t feel discouraged.
Here are some other interesting flavors worth checking out:
- – Chai Latte: made from black Indian tea, milk and spices like ginger, cinnamon and cardamom. It is usually sweetened with honey or sugar to taste sweeter.
- – Irish Cream Flavored Coffees: simply put, these contain alcohol! They’re also flavored using chocolate syrup for sweetness along with other ingredients such as vanilla extract or even peppermint oil. As mentioned before–these are best consumed mixed because of the alcohol content.
- – Hazelnut Cream Coffee: these coffees contain hazelnuts and milk cream so that they’re thicker than your typical coffee drink but still not as heavy or sweet as a latte. These go best with whipped cream on top for extra sweetness!
- – Mocha Flavored Coffees: mocha is made from espresso, hot chocolate, often topped off with whipped cream and cocoa powder which gives it an added level of flavor depth. It’s also usually mixed together to ensure that all flavors are present throughout the whole cup.”
Comparison of Our Top 12 Choices (Updated in April 2021):
Our Pick!Puck Me Jamaican Blend
|Check On Amazon|
|Green Mountain Breakfast Blend||Check On Amazon|
|Martinson’s Breakfast Blend||Check On Amazon|
|Dunkin’ Donuts Vanilla||Check On Amazon|
|Death Wish||Check On Amazon|
|Java Da Bomb||Check On Amazon|
|Eight O’ Clock Dark Italian||Check On Amazon|
|Newman’s Special Blend||Check On Amazon|
|Newman’s Decaf||Check On Amazon|
|Barista Prima||Check On Amazon|
|Green Mountain Dark||Check On Amazon|
1. Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Breakfast Blend – Best Overall
As the name states, this is a light variant of coffee, with a mild aroma to it and no bitterness.
In other words, this product might not be a good choice for those hardcore coffee-lovers who love a cup of coffee that has a sting to it.
This coffee has no added flavors to it, which is always a plus if you like the straightforward, plain taste of coffee beans.
Green Mountain-Light Roast also has a somewhat lower caffeine percentage. It is 100% Arabica, which is the most popular variant of coffee in the world.
Also, lighter roast doesn’t mean that you won’t feel any taste. Breakfast blend has a distinct, soft scent and taste to it, and we encourage you to try it.
- Keurig quality guaranteed
- Regular coffee- no added flavors or additives
- One of the most sought-after Keurig products on Amazon
- People who love good-old strong coffee won’t be satisfied with this product
2. Illy Extra Dark – Best Dark Roast K-Cups
Whether you’re waking up in the morning or enjoying an after-dinner cup, our Extra Dark Roasts are perfect. Made with a rich Arabica blend and roasted to perfection, they deliver the complexity of dark chocolate, dried fruit & nut aromas with subtle acidity that’s full bodied without being overwhelming. Best enjoyed as Americano or Espresso (with crema), this is a delicious K-Cup coffee at any time of day!
The world is more than ready for a sophisticated espresso that doesn’t compromise on the bold taste. Sometimes, you just need an intense espresso, and this one does not disappoint. Plus, it delivers 30mg of caffeine per pod; enough to wake up any coffee-addict!
This coffee may be a bit pricey, but it delivers one of the richest, darkest flavors on the market.
Take Note: While this is great for iced coffees or hot espresso drinks when you want to taste something more dark and deep than your average cup of joe, it doesn’t pack quite as much caffeine as other options out there.
3. Martinson Breakfast Blend – Coffee Capsules
Another milder coffee on our list. This means that it’s not as acidic and bitter as some other coffees, and especially when compared with some other brewing methods-Turkish technique for brewing coffee, for example.
There are no added flavors and additives, just coffee. Plain and simple.
The good thing is that these capsules are recyclable and environment-friendly. Martinson’s products are compatible with most Keurig coffee-makers. We emphasize the words “most” as Martinson’s Breakfast Blend won’t work with Keurig Vue machine.
These capsules are manufactured by meticulous Canadian workers.
- Good price
- Good price to quality ratio
- According to some reviewers, it might be too weak, at least when it comes to flavor
4. Dunkin’ Donuts French Vanilla – K-Cup Pods
Dunkin’ Donuts’ French Vanilla is a classic medium flavored coffee. Feel the soft French aroma and feel like you’re sitting in a Parisian café. Classy!
And the best thing is, Vanilla flavor won’t suffocate the firm taste and scent of full-bodied, classic coffee.
The sweet and creamy vanilla will perfectly complement the cup of your favorite caffeinated drink.
This is another product on our list made completely from Arabica beans.
- Coffee and Vanilla are indeed a good blend!
- The vanilla flavor might be too strong to some people
5. Wolfgang Puck Jamaican Me Crazy - Coffee Capsules
If you want to bring the taste and aroma of lush tropical landscapes, Wolfgang Puck Me Jamaican is the right coffee for you. This is a medium roast blend, which should suit most people’s needs.
The tropical aspect of this K-Cup coffee is its coconut aroma- one taste of it and you’ll be transported to sunny warm beaches of Jamaica.
This product is completely recyclable, so you’ll be able to save the environment while enjoying a cup of tropical heaven.
- Tropical coconut aroma
- A medium roast blend made to suits everyone’s tastes
- Strong, consistent flavor
- Hazelnut aspect of this product is bad, according to some critical buyers- it’s far from Hawaiian Hazelnut, as the package states
6. Death Wish Coffee Single Serve Capsules - for Keurig K-Cup Brewers
This is the strongest single-serve K-Cup coffee on the market. Need a quick way to get back to your senses? Do not despair as Death Wish Coffee will get you right back in the game.
Just be careful not to overdo it as you might get some caffeine side-effects like nausea, dizziness, and other ones that we described elsewhere.
However, this kind of coffee does come with a price- and this is at the same time the most frequent complaint coming from the buyers.
These K-Cups are not Keurig’s products, so there may be some problems with compatibility. This is because Death Wish K-Cups are a bit different than normal K-Cups, but they should work fine with most Keurig coffee machines.
- Will shake you up like no other drink
- Strong taste and aroma
7. Java Factory Da Bomb Extra Bold K Cup da Bomb - Extra Bold Double Caffinated
Another coffee that can deal a punch! This is Extra Bold, Dark Roast Coffee, made to satisfy the biggest coffee freaks.
This product comes with a warning as it has double the amount of caffeine compared to regular coffees.
You’ll get the nice buzzing feeling of caffeine doing its effect on adenosine receptors.
Although the taste is full and strong, this doesn’t mean that the beverage itself is acidic or bitter. Quite the contrary- you’ll still get the smooth taste of the coffee.
Java Factory (manufacturer) makes K-Cups that are compatible with most Keurig products- including 2.0 Keurig machines.
- Double the amount of caffeine
- Will shake you up a bit
- Cheaper than other strong coffees, like Death Wish
- Might be dangerous to people with health problems
8. Eight O'Clock Coffee Dark Italian Roast - Single Serve Coffee K-Cup Pod Dark Roast
Italians really know how to make a great coffee! This is why this K-Cup bears the name of Italy- this is classic, dark Italian roast coffee.
After the first sip, you’ll be transported to a small café in Rome, overlooking the narrow, ancient streets.
Eight O’Clock is a company with looong tradition- since 1859! This Italian Dark Roast is ideal for espressos and cappuccino aficionados. 100 % Arabica.
Good tasting coffee- it has the best taste when you run your Keurig on 6 oz settings, or “strong” setting.
However, some buyers state that Starbucks Dark Roast is a bit stronger that Eight O’Clock’s batch, so keep this in mind if you get up early for work.
- Strong, Italian flavor
- Licensed Keurig product- no problems with compatibility
- Less strong than some other dark roast coffees
9. Newman's Own Organics Keurig Single - Serve K-Cup Pods Newman's Special Blend Medium Roast Coffee
Newman’s Special Blend is a perfect combination of the best medium and dark roasts. In other words, this is a coffee with strong, aromatic, and smooth flavor that will amaze even the harshest coffee critics. This is a blend of medium-roasted Central American coffees and darker-roasted Indonesian variants.
Newman’s motto is: “Great Tasting Coffee That Happens to Be Organic”. This means that the company has close surveillance over the processing of raw beans.
Most importantly this is a certified organic product, which means that the beans grew in a friendly, chemical-free soil. Most importantly, indigenous habitat is completely preserved. On the downside, cups are not biodegradable.
- A nice blend of dark and medium roast coffees
- Some unhappy customers say that this product is unlike any other Newman K-Cup and that the taste is bland and non-dynamic
10. Newman's Own Organics - Special DECAF Coffe 96 K-Cups for Keurig
This blend is very similar to the last one we’ve mentioned. Except for one thing- the amount of caffeine. Although we think that drinking decaffeinated coffee is like eating warm ice cream, we decided to include one decaf product.
Even though there is no caffeine, this doesn’t mean that Newman’s Decaf is a soft-tasting, uninviting mess- quite the contrary, this product retains all the aroma and taste, while taking away all the caffeine. Or, as one happy buyer has put it: “Actually tastes like coffee and not colored water!”.
Not all caffeine is taken away, to be exact. As we’ve explained in some other texts, even decaffeinated products have at least some tiny amount of caffeine- usually 15-20 mg.
Once again, this is a 100% organic product.
- Good for people who have to abstain from caffeine
11. Barista Prima Coffeehouse Italian Roast Coffee - K-Cup for Keurig Brewers
Once again, Italians stepped in to show how real good tasting coffee is made. As a reminder, espresso was first brewed in Italy, and Italian companies that make coffee-makers are usually at the top.
This is a peculiar combination, as it also contains ripe berry and other fruity flavors. Although strong and consistent, this coffee isn’t too bitter or acidic in any way.
According to the manufacturer, this is a full-bodied, yet balanced and smooth coffee.
Some customers said that this product is a good introduction to darker, harsher roasts- which means that it isn’t over the top in terms of caffeine amount and strength.
- A good introduction to stronger, more rich-flavored roasts
- 4-month shelf life is unacceptable to some customers
12. Green Mountain Coffee Dark Magic Keurig - Single Serve K-Cup Pods Dark Roast Coffee
Don’t let your guard down- this is coffee with an intense, deep, and strong taste. It is extra bold, so it might not be the best choice for people who drink coffee just to get themselves caffeinated.
Similarly, people who love their coffee nice and sweet will probably find this coffee undrinkable as Green Mountain Dark Magic can really deal a punch.
This is a rich blend of Colombian, Sumatran, Ugandan, and South American strains. It is made from Arabica coffee beans, and no artificial ingredients were used in the manufacturing process.
Be aware- there are a lot of copies and counterfeit products out there on the market, so be sure to check customer’s feedback first.
- Rich, strong taste
- A lot of imitations and copies of this product on the market
Editors ChoiceWe’ll be honest- it’s hard to choose the very best K-Cup coffee. Our favorite is Wolfgang Puck Jamaican Me Crazy. Let’s be frank here, K-Cups are all about exotic flavors and other things you simply cannot get in your standard, office black coffee. This Jamaican blend combines rich coffee flavor with all kinds of exotic and tropical aromas, which will amaze even the most conservative coffee-lover.
That’s about it. Of course, the palette of K-Cup products is so wide and diverse that we didn’t even try to put them all in this list. We tried to make a representative sample of all K-Cup products- light, medium, and dark roasts were all mentioned. Moreover, we mentioned some decaffeinated products, as well as 1coffees with strong aromas. There is something for everybody!
And now, we will lay back and enjoy our tasty K-Cup coffee while listening to some K-Pop.
Top Rated K-Cup Coffees:
No products found.