The well-known ritual of drinking the coffee in the morning can set a tone for the rest of the day. Having the perfect cup is a question of many qualities: texture, acidity, smoothness, origin. If you are one of those people who experience shakiness, brain fog and sweating after drinking only one cup, you should definitely look into decaf.
Why not give it a try and see for yourself if it can compare to the regular brew as many people claim? We have made a list of some of the best decaf coffee beans on the market to help you make a well-educated decision about which brand will accompany your mornings.
Decaffeination is the process of removing the caffeine from the beans, cocoa or tea leaves. It can remove up to 97% of caffeine, but some products can have up to 20% of caffeine left. It has been performed for the first time in the 19th century by the Friedlib Runge. It wasn’t until the beginning of the 20th century that the process became commercial. Ludwig Roselius had rediscovered it accidentally and Kaffee Hag was born. Swiss Water Method that is explained later in the text, is one of the methods of decaffeination that uses water as the solvent – not chemicals.
List of 8 Best Decaf Coffee Beans:
|Mayan Decaf Swiss Water Process||Check On Amazon|
|Verena Street||Check On Amazon|
|Kicking Horse||Check On Amazon|
|Cafe Don Pablo Decaf||Check On Amazon|
|Community Coffee||Check On Amazon|
|Eight O'Clock Whole Bean Coffee||Check On Amazon|
|No Fun Jo Decaf||Check On Amazon|
|Fresh Roasted Coffee||Check On Amazon|
- MAYAN SWISS WATER DECAF - a rich, full-flavored decaf with modest body. This earthy and subtle profile has a clean fresh aroma
- ROAST LEVEL - Medium Roasted Whole Bean Coffee - fresh roasted beans so you can grind your coffee fresh before brewing
Mayan Decaf product is achieved through an eco-friendly and chemical-free process. Beans are medium roasted and the brew has low acidity. This full-flavored smooth brew doesn’t taste like many other decaf coffees, mostly due to the Swiss Water Process.
The beans are of Central American origin. Mayans also prepare the beans in small batches, as they are dedicated to producing a fresh and quality product. The product is RFA Certified.
2. Verena Street – Decaf Beans
- 2lb. medium roast whole bean (32oz.); naturally decaffeinated coffee beans; rich yet mellow flavor
- The Swiss Water decaf process gives this a full-bodied flavor and aroma without any bitterness
Verena Street hopes to capture the essence of owners’ childhood since Verena Street doesn’t exist anymore. They roast coffee in small batches so that the customers would get the freshest goods possible. The beans of different origins are mixed to produce uniquely flavored blends and taste that otherwise wouldn’t be possible.
The beans are medium-roasted as well as naturally decaffeinated. The flavor is rich yet mellow, but not bitter. It’s Kosher certified by the Orthodox Union.
3. Kicking Horse – Decaf Coffee
- DARK ROAST, WHOLE BEAN: Swiss Water Process. Decaffeinated coffee should be exactly like every other one of our blends: deep, dark and delicious. Tip-top taste with a mellow finish.
- TASTING NOTES, BREW METHOD: Roasted hazelnuts, chocolaty balanced body and a long lasting finish. Recommended methods: French press, drip machine, pour over, espresso and cold brew.
Kicking Horse Whole beans have gone through the Swiss Water Process – it’s a process of decaffeinating which involves the usage of activated charcoal and water as a medium. It’s dark roasted for strong and deep chocolate taste with a long, mellow finish and nutty complexity.
Preparation processes that are recommended are french press, drip machine, pour-over, and espresso. It’s Kosher certified.
4. Cafe Don Pablo Decaf – Swiss Water Process
- All Natural Swiss Water Process decaffeinated Colombian Supremo
- Carmel and cocoa with a hint of citrus. Smooth, clean finish with low acidity
Cafe Don Pablo Decaf might just be the best Swiss Water process decaf coffee. It’s of Colombian origin and it’s taste features caramel and cocoa with a hint of citrus. It’s low acid and medium/dark roasted which means it is a little bitter. It’s a GMO-Free.
Furthermore, having in mind how freshness can be a very important factor, it’s made in small batches to provide customers fresh product.
5. Community Coffee – Café Special Decaf
- SMOOTH & FULL-FLAVORED: Incredibly smooth and full-flavored. This decaf blend has all the richness of our great-tasting coffee without the caffeine. Made from only 100% select Arabica coffee beans. Enjoy 36 ounces (approx 135 six-ounce cups of coffee.)
- FIND YOUR PERFECT BLEND: A blend for every taste; medium roast Breakfast Blend for a perfect morning, Café Special or Coffee & Chicory (New Orleans tradition) for an afternoon perk, an evening cup of Signature Dark, Decaf, or a flavored coffee blend for a treat.
Another affordable brand with full flavor. If you enjoy a very smooth drink you should give Community Coffee a try. It’s of Arabica origin and it’s sourced responsibly.
This Medium Dark Roast will give your brew a lively taste, but not too intense. Furthermore, it’s compatible with Keurig K-Cup brewers.
6. Eight O'Clock Whole Bean Coffee – The Original Decaf
- Unique blend of 100% Arabica decaffeinated coffee beans, medium roasted
- Same rich, smooth, and original taste without all the caffeine
Eight O’Clock is a very affordable arabica decaf coffee. It might even be the best supermarket decaf coffee. Its beans are medium roasted so the coffee won’t be as bitter as when the hard roasted beans are prepared. It’s Kosher certified. Its taste is very similar to the
Original Eight O’Clock Whole Bean but most importantly, it’s well-balanced. If you are curious to explore less-traditional tastes then you might be glad to know that Eight O’Clock offers different blends and tastes, like the Relax blend with chamomile and lavender.
7. No Fun Jo Decaf – Organic Decaf Coffee
- PROFESSIONAL CUPPING NOTES: SWEET BLUEBERRY | MILK CHOCOLATE | COMPLEX | FULL BODY | NO FLAVORING ADDED | Descriptive terms are simply subtle undertones in the coffee itself and no flavors are added. To insure you receive authentic fresh Jo Coffee select only "Sold by Jo Coffee and Fulfilled by Amazon".
- SAVE MONEY! No Fun Jo Decaf is also available in a 2 lb bag with a lower price per/lb. Browse the "by Jo Coffee" link above to see all our 12 oz, money-saving 2 lb and eco-friendly single serve for Keurig K-Cup brewer offerings.
No Fun Jo decaf with is a good option for people who are looking for a dark-roasted brew with stronger texture and roast taste. This product is organic and chemical-free. It’s made by the Swiss Water Process that uses only water, no solvents. In this process, the water is stripped from the caffeine by percolation through activated charcoal.
Afterward, the beans are put in the hot water to reabsorb the rest of the flavor from the water. If you are looking for one hundred percent Arabica beans, it’s likely that you have found what you’re looking for. For people that have problems with gluten and allergies, this might be a good choice – it’s certified and gluten-free.
8. Fresh Roasted Coffee – Organic Sumatra Decaf Coffee
- ORGANIC SUMATRAN DECAF COFFEE IS EARTHY, CREAMY, AND HAS RICH UNDERTONES OF CHOCOLATE. The Ideal Choice For Anyone Who Wants To Ditch The Caffeine But Not The Flavor and Bold Body.
- USDA ORGANIC. SWISS WATER PROCESSED. FAIR TRADE CERTIFIED. Decaffeinated. Single-Origin From Bener Meriah, Aceh, Sumatra. Catimor, Ateng, Timtim, and Bourbon Varietals. Wet Hulled-Semi Washed & Sun dried.
We’re going to dive right in the center of the review: This is one of the best organic decaf coffees on the market. The Cupping notes of this decaf beans are Earthy, creamy and Baker’s Chocolate.
It’s water processed by the Swiss Water Decaf process which is the one that’s known to preserve the taste. It’s 100% Arabica origin and it doesn’t contain any additives, preservatives or artificial flavors.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Decaf Bad For You?
Decaf itself isn’t bad for your health, meanwhile, the methylene chloride that is sometimes used as a solvent can be. There are methods of producing this type of brew which don’t include the usage of methylene chloride. It’s worth taking time to educate yourself on the methods by which beams get decaffeinated, as well as to glance over the packaging and see which method has been used.
Methylene Chloride has been found to affect the central nervous system even when in very small dosages. The use of Methylene Chloride is FDA Approved as long as the product doesn’t contain more than 0.001% of residual methylene chloride.
Processes of Decaffeination?
There are a few processes that are used to achieve decaffeination: Direct method, Indirect method, Superficial CO2 process, Swiss Water Process and Triglyceride process.
Manufacturers may use some of the following substances to remove caffeine:
- Activated charcoal
- Supercritical carbon dioxide
- Methylene chloride
- Ethyl acetate
Usually, they would use the water since the caffeine can be dissolved in it, but the problem becomes when some other chemical compounds start dissolving too. This is when the added chemicals come into play: they act as enzymes that speed up the process of dissolving the caffeine in order to have it being dissolved much faster than the rest of the compounds.
Are There Health Benefits to Drinking Decaf?
Coffee itself can be healthy as long as you drink it in the normal amounts. Research has found that it can help with one’s cognitive functions, amongst other things. Since decaffeinated brew isn’t void of caffeine and it still has about 10 milligrams left, similar rules apply to it as well. It contains vitamins like Magnesium, Potassium, B3, and compounds like antioxidants. Those compounds have been found to help with reducing the risk of diseases like type 2 diabetes and cancer. Antioxidants’ are well known for their significance when it comes to the function of the central nervous system.
Drinking decaf brings many health and cognitive benefits while leaving out the most unwanted symptoms. Even though some of the brands may compromise the taste, not having to deal with dizziness, shakiness, nausea and similar symptoms are worth it for many people. Swiss water decaf coffee beans don’t change the taste of the drink. Not only is decaf less disturbing for sensitive groups, but it also offers many same health benefits as does the regular drink. Are you ready to drink decaf coffee yet? It contains vitamins and other chemical compounds like antioxidants, which are known to neutralize compounds like free radicals which can prevent many dangerous diseases. Switching from regular to decaf has eased the symptoms of many people while letting them have their daily rituals filled with the specific, well-known smell.
Our product of choice, best decaf coffee 2020, is Cafe Don Pablo. It’s decaffeinated by the process that doesn’t involve additional chemicals and it’s of Colombian origin. Low in acid and GMO-free. The fact that they make it in the small batches is very important – you will always get a fresh pack of coffee to kickstart your day.